Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Coincidences and Lookalikes

There is no strength without unity. Irish saying


As I have done my research, I realized a few genealogy coincidences that have occurred. I love looking through old family photos too seeing if I can find any lookalikes, and comparing traits to see where different features came from

Here, Ive listed a couple of my genealogy coincidences and lookalikes.

1.     My 2nd great-grandmother, Anna Fedczak came to America on the S.S Batavia. I live in Bataviahow weird is that?

Myself and my grandmother
2.     I ordered a military record for my great-grandfather, Michael Fedczak. I waited a couple of weeks to receive the record. There was also a photograph of him included, but it had to go to a lab to be digitized. I waited several more weeks and was starting to lose confidence that I would receive this photo. I finally did receive the photoon August 22, 2018. I then remembered that August 22nd was his birthday. It was a coincidence that of all the days that I could have received this photoit came on his birthday!

3.     Every genealogist loves old photos J When looking through some of mine, I realized how much I looked like my grandmother when I was very young. In this side-by-side, you can see that we had the same light blonde hair, the same eyes, a similar noseand we were both wearing a cardigan!

If you love old photos and comparing them to see who looks like who, then Ive got a FamilySearch feature for you!

FamilySearch Compare-A-Face feature example,
using photos of myself and my aunt 
The FamilySearch website has a feature called Compare-A-Face. With this feature, you can add a picture of yourself, or someone else, and another photo of a relative. The photo will be scanned and the website will tell you how much you look like someone by providing a percentage. Of course, this isnt scientific, but its still fun!

I uploaded a photo of myself and one of my aunt. The site gave us an 84% lookalike rating. I thought this was interesting because I have always been told that I look like her. I have also uploaded photos of myself and other family members (who I know that I dont resemble) and have received lower percentages. So, even though it isnt scientific it still seems to work pretty well.



Here is a link to the feature: https://www.familysearch.org/discovery/compare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help! I’m Stuck!

“ Genealogists are time travelers. ” – Genealogybank.com Sometimes, when using a genealogy website, you know what you are looking fo...