Monday, August 5, 2019

What Should I Do After I Receive My DNA Results?

When we learn about the past, we gather strength for the future. Hank Smith

You have chosen a company, tested your DNA, and received your results. What should you do with this information?

All DNA testing companies will allow you to download a files of you raw DNA data. There are many things that you can do with this data to get more out of it. However, you do need to be cautious because once you upload your DNA file online you cannot get it back!

Here are a few reputable websites where you may upload your raw DNA file to get more out of your results.

1.     MyHeritage I touched on MyHeritage in a previous post about deciding which DNA test to take. I highly recommend uploading your DNA file to MyHeritage (and your family tree file, aka GEDCOM file). MyHeritage allows you to upload files from 23 and Me, Ancestry, Family Tree DNA, and many other companies. So, uploading your DNA to MyHeritage will give you more matches than you can get on any one platform.

MyHeritage also has an international reach, unlike Ancestry and 23 and Me, who focus only on North America. Based in Israel, the company extends to Eastern and Western Europe, North America, South America, Asia, Australia, and more. So, when you upload your raw DNA file, you will receive international matches. I uploaded my DNA and I received matches from many different countries. I even reached out to a distant cousin in Russia and a cousin in Ukraine to try to find out how we were related. We didnt have any luck, but it was neat to be able to message them and know that I share DNA with people many, many miles away J

The website also has a chromosome browser, which you are able to access under the DNA tools tab. A chromosome browser allows you to view your shared DNA segments between you and your matches, which can help point you to a common ancestor.

In short, I highly recommend uploading your DNA file to MyHeritage

2.     GEDMatch Another website that you may upload your DNA file to is GEDMatch. You may have heard about this website before as it has gained notoriety for using DNA to help find criminals such as the Golden State Killer.

GEDMatch enables you to compare your DNA segments with others (similar to the chromosome browser on MyHeritage). While this can be helpful when trying to locate a common ancestor, GEDMatch is more of a technical website, meaning: it is not very user-friendly. As someone who is not a science/math minded person, it is hard for me to understand the intricacies of DNA science. So, I would only recommend GEDMatch if you are very comfortable with DNA.

A feature of GEDMatch are the many ethnicity calculators. Various individuals have developed software’s which calculate your ethnicity percentages differently. IF you are very interested in your ethnicity percentages, this tool can be fun to use.

3.     Promethease For $5, you can upload your DNA to this website and receive a very detailed health report back. The report will tell you which diseases you are at risk for, which medications your body will respond best to, and will even tell you if you are at risk for anxiety disorders or depression.

4.     GenomeLink GenomeLink is another great website to upload your data. The website will allow you to upload your data for free and you will receive 20 trait reports. However, if you would like access to additional reports, then you must pay for a membership. Each week the company will send out an email, called Bonus Trait Tuesday, where you are able to login to the site and receive one additional trait report for free. I uploaded my DNA here some of the reports are very interesting. For example, my DNA indicates that I am at a lower risk for having a milk allergy, but I have an intermediate risk for having a peanut allergy. My report also stated that I am predisposed to have a longer lifespan (this is interesting because many of the women in my family tend to live very long lives). I would highly recommend uploading your DNA to GenomeLink if you are interested in trait and health reports.


Below I have listed links to the websites mentioned above.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Help! I’m Stuck!

“ Genealogists are time travelers. ” – Genealogybank.com Sometimes, when using a genealogy website, you know what you are looking fo...